Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Year and New Hope for Resolutions...

"Should old acquaintances be forgot, and never brought to mind?" say the lyrics of the old New Year's Song, Auld Lang Syne

Well, in my case, as rough as 2014 may have been at times, I have no regrets or no one to have to forget! 

However, every year as the music plays in the background at Times Square, after the clock strikes midnight, and couples kiss, while confetti pours from the sky and fireworks burst in the sky and toasts are made with champagne glasses around the globe (and Cubans eat their twelve grapes and toss a bucket of water out the door!), millions of people make their New Year's resolutions, if they hadn't already made them beforehand!

It's a tradition as old as the beginning of time, when surviving the new year was a good resolution to make, and often, like most resolutions, fell short at some point, due to an unexpected bite of a Tyrannosaurus (Of course, the calendar year may have been a little different, or not existing at all!) but, in the spirit of the New Year, I will share my resolutions for 2015:

1) Continue growing in my faith, which includes working through the Old Testament every morning, which I started a couple of years ago but haven't finished, attending daily Mass, like I did for several years before my work schedule changed, and taking more time in prayer and meditation throughout my day.  I also want to continue reading and learning about the Church, as I have been doing for the past eight years.

2) Spend more quality time with my family, which includes having dinner at the dinner table, that, because of hectic schedules, we have gotten away from in 2014, adjusting our schedules to spend more time as a family, which may mean accepting less invitations to parties and events that take time away from the family, doing more proactive activities together on weekends, and despite, extra expenses for our older daughter's Confirmation, primary school graduation and starting high school, and my son's First Holy Communion, my brother's wedding in Oregon and my wife traveling to London for our niece's First Communion (which, unfortunately, we all can't afford to go unless we win the lotto!), I want to take a family vacation together.  We have four years left before our eldest daughter goes off to college and she already has her heart set on Notre Dame!

3) Spend more time dating my wife.  Now, that we have a soon-to-be 14-year-old, who is going to be entering high school by the end of the year and has proven to be a responsible babysitter in recent weeks, we are going to take advantage and leave her in charge of our little ones from time to time and go out on dates, which we haven't been doing as much lately.

4) Lose weight (Goal 50 lbs.); not for any narcissistic or vainglory reasons but because I want to be around to attend my kids' high school and college graduations, and when they go through their teens and desperately need fatherly guidance, I want to be there as well as.  I also really want to walk my daughters down the aisle, which my father-in-law wasn't able to do.  This includes eating healthier, starting a consistent exercise program, staying away from sweets and fried foods (which I love!), drinking more water and less beer (Although, I can compensate by drinking more scotch!) and stop snacking when I get home from work (Which, to me, is as hard as giving up beer!).  Yes, I know.  I've made this resolution before but new year new hope, right?

5) Streamline my life (And, I don't mean getting rid of my wife and kids); my briefcase is bursting at the seams and, to top it off, I carry around an ever-growing stack of papers to and from work everyday.  Why?  God knows why (Maybe, it's insecurities from the time I ran out of toilet paper at a  park in my teens).  I never have time to go through the papers and documents at work and probably less time at home, but the pile keeps growing and keeps going with me everywhere I go!  I want to do away with unneeded junk and distractions (I'm a bit of a pack rat) and that includes getting rid of clothes that don't fit (although, if I plan on losing 50 lbs., I may have to reconsider this one), old shoes that are worn out, and papers and items that I don't need (my side of the room is a sore spot for my wife and me!).

6) And, finally, I want to watch less Mets, Heat and Redskins games (No, I don't really mean this one but wanted to see if my wife really reads my blogs!)

Let's be honest, I don't think any of these can compete with avoiding a Tyrannosaurus (Or staying alive!), so they should be within reach, if I apply myself and show a little will power.  In any case, I'll keep you posted as the year progresses.

What are your New Year's resolutions?...
 

No comments: