Search This Blog

Monday, December 1, 2014

Busy, Busy, Busy but it Could be Worse!...

We live extremely busy lives.  In fact, too busy if you ask me!

In my case, the last several months have been a blur.  I was promoted to a new role at work, and while I'm still doing most of the things I was already doing, since July of last year, I've gotten more piled on my plate.  Let's just say, at times, I feel like Wonder Mike from The Sugarhill Gang's Rapper's Delight.  And, so I digress. 

In any case, in recent months, I've been busy planning and coordinating special stories for "sweeps," the TV ratings period in November.  I've been busy with staff scheduling, which is a bear of a task, especially heading into "sweeps," with reporters and photographers doing special assignments, everybody overworked and realizing if they don't use their sick days before the end of the year, they will lose them, and heading into vacation season.  I've been busy overseeing and contributing to our day-to-day editorial content.  I've been busy organizing and supervising special stories for a sales campaign that lasts until the beginning of the year.  I've been busy attending editorial meetings, scheduling meetings, promotions meetings, personnel meetings, budget meetings (by the way, did I mention meetings? Sometimes 5 in one day!), interviewing candidates for open positions, and, if that weren't enough, our news department is relocating to a new building next month and I have been busy with meetings about the move, coordinating the training schedules, and scheduling freelancers to fill in during the training.  Even when I get home at 7:30p or 8:00p at night, I am constantly checking emails and putting out fires.  It's been a bit hectic!

But wait, as the infomercials on TV say, that's not all!  In my spare time, I recently made a presentation for the adult catechesis class at my parish on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ (A monster topic, which required a lot of time and study) and I was preparing my men's group for a spiritual retreat and had to come up with weekly topics for discussion.

As a co-worker acutely pointed out one day, "You really like to take on a lot don't you?  I don't know how you do it!"  Well, to be fair, I don't know either!

I tell you, several times a week, I found myself awake at 5:00a, 4:30a or even 3:00a (And not just to go to the bathroom!), thinking about work and all the other things that needed to get done, which is a sure sign of anxiety; the antithesis to faith and trust in God.  It's been overwhelming.

It came to a point where, twice in the past month, I felt an uncomfortable pressure in my chest and had to go check it out.  Aside from my blood pressure shooting up to the stratosphere, it seems, the pressure was most likely stress related but I was referred to a cardiologist, just in case.   

Fortunately, sweeps are done and so is the retreat I was preparing for.  Now, I see a light at the end of the tunnel; only the tunnel is deep and dark and still requires some steady maneuvering through the myriad of goblins, sick days, a monumental move and Smaug the fire-breathing dragon.  Where's Bilbo Baggins and his magic ring when you need him?   

At the end of the day, as Igor says to Dr. Frankenstein, while digging up a grave, in one of my all-time favorite movie lines, in Mel Brook's Young Frankenstein, "It could be worse.  It could be raining." Of course, no sooner had he said that, than a monsoon comes over them.

Lord, give me strength!...



No comments: