Search This Blog

Monday, January 20, 2014

My A-ha Moment in the Cafecito Line...

Con espumita!...
My wife and I were waiting in line to order a couple of Cuban "cafecitos," after going to Mass and having breakfast with the kids last Sunday, when all of a sudden, Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive comes on the speakers behind us. 

Let's be honest, it's one of those "girl songs" (as my son says) that many men, of my generation, know the words to!

A few seconds later I heard myself singing, "Go on now go, walk out the door.  Just turn around now..."

Just as fast as the words came out of my mouth, I abruptly caught myself and stopped.  I looked at the Mo-hawked guy with the tattoos standing in front of me, behind the overweight lady with the purple hair and flowered dress, and the old men smoking cigars at the table behind me and I asked my wife, "I just sang that pretty loud, didn't I?" 

She started laughing and nodded, "Oh yes you did."

I said, "I was like the guy in the Volkswagen commercial, who belts out the lyrics of the A-ha song (Take On Me!), during a meeting at work and then asked, 'Was that me?  Was I singing?'"

She started losing it.

Talk about having the music in me!  Fortunately, my kids were waiting for us in the van and were saved from the embarrassment!...

3 comments:

Orlando Leon said...

This is great Carlos. Your blog's are the best. This one was priceless. I can see what you are saying because, I think that song has been like a national anthem to most of us LOL.
God Bless you and your beautiful family. We love reading your blog.
Orly and Dessi.

Jose Azze said...

This headline caught my attention. I love both cafecitos and disco music. The words to the music can change (sometimes for the worse :( ) But a cafecito is still around one dollar and a typical Starbucks coffee is around $5. lol

Carlos Espinosa said...

Thank you, Orly, Dessi and Pepper.

I would like to think my blogs are at least better than my singing!

God bless...