Search This Blog

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Christmas Mass with Bocelli...

He did it again.

After showing up unexpectedly and performing last Easter, internationally renowned tenor Andrea Bocelli, considered by many the greatest voice of our time, made another surprise appearance at St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Miami Beach during an afternoon Christmas Mass.

The Catholic raised blind superstar, who has sold over 80 million records worldwide and sung for Popes John Paul II and Benedict XVI, sang Silent Night during Communion and O Come All Ye Faithful at another point in the liturgy.

Although not exactly the decorum you would want displayed at Mass, many star-struck parishioners were quick to whip out their smart phones and tablets to capture the emotional moment...



Then again, I should speak.  My wife had to call my attention when, in my own star-struck(ness), I tried to whip out my cell phone at a Sunday Mass celebrated by Cardinal Timothy Dolan at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York earlier this year!

In a television interview, Bocelli said, "For Christmas, I absolutely want to attend Mass.  If they ask me to sing, I sing.  I'm happy about it."  He continued, "I am Christian, so for me it's the most important day of the year."

Now, whether he attends Mass outside of these two important Christian holy days, I'm not sure but he definitely made an impression on the congregation, who were moved not only by his voice but by his apparent faith as well...

No comments: