Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Merton on the Search for Happiness...


"So there I was with all the liberty that I had been promising myself for so long.  The world was mine.  How did I like it?  I was doing just what I pleased, and instead of being filled with happiness and well-being, I was miserable.  The love of pleasure is destined by its very nature to defeat itself and end in frustration."

-- Thomas Merton, an intellectual world-traveling agnostic turned Trappist Monk, mystic and social activist, who became one of the most influential Christian authors of the 20th Century.  He wrote over 70 books, including his best selling autobiography, The Seven Storey Mountain, from which this quote was taken.

No matter how far and wide we search, happiness can never be found in the material, or in the emotional for that matter.  We were made for something greater...





No comments: