Search This Blog

Thursday, December 1, 2011

It's Not Called Suntan U for Nothing...

After Mass this morning, I was talking to some of my friends about the chilly weather we woke up to (low 60’s, which in Miami means sweaters, coats and, for some, even scarves) and one of the guys said, “This isn’t cold. Talk to me when you have to dig your way out of three feet of snow in the morning just to get to your car and then it doesn’t start because the engine is frozen.”

It reminded me of a funny story that happened to me while attending the University of Miami.

Sugarbush, Vermont 
A group of fraternity brothers (and guests), including one local politician, who I will not name, went on a road trip to Sugarbush, Vermont (circa 1987) to go skiing.

It was the first time I had ever gone skiing and probably the first time I had seen snow since my early teens with my cousins in Chicago.

The second morning, after arriving at the house we were staying at, it was so cold that the van we rented (in a Hialeah car rental agency, which was more like an auto repair shop but gave us the cheapest rate) would not start.

Here we were, five or six grown college men, mostly upperclassmen, and what brilliant idea did we come up with? We boiled some water and poured over the engine.

Needless to say, we quickly found out, if you pour water in icy cold weather, it turns to ice! 

We had to call a local mechanic, who came to bail us out (while holding back chuckles, I'm sure!), and we didn’t hit the ski slopes until early afternoon.

Hey, they don’t call it Suntan U for nothing…

No comments: