Search This Blog

Monday, September 27, 2010

Clean Up on Aisle Seven...

Watch your step...
Ok, so what do you do when your toddler has urinated in the middle of an aisle at a toy store while you were too busy looking at Star Wars action figures to have noticed? I was faced with that dilemma Sunday afternoon, just seconds after my son came up to me saying, “Pee-pee, pee- pee.”

Great, I thought, he is making progress, let me rush him to the bathroom quickly. However, just as fast as the thought crossed my mind, I saw the puddle in the middle of the aisle, between the Spiderman action figures on one side and Woody and the rest of the Toy Story gang on the other.

“Nico…,” I said dejected. “What happened?”

He looked at me with a look that said, “I don’t know.”

As I contemplated what to do next, another customer, a man with a shopping cart, quickly turned into the aisle we were in and rolled over my son’s territory marking on the floor. The man didn’t even notice and, at that point, I was hesitant about offering a confession of what had just happened. He just kept going and turned into the next aisle.

Our son is still potty training. He's making great strides. He usually tells us he has to go to the bathroom before it is too late. However, we were trying something new; going without pull-ups for the first time for an extended period.

Last week, we got a note from his school stating that we (not just us but all parents of Pre-K 3's) need to be weaning them off pull-ups and getting them use to wearing underwear.

After another hectic Saturday of soccer, real estate and his sister’s sixth birthday party, we decided on Sunday to experiment with underwear. Since, he is so good with the pull-ups (number one and number two), and goes most nights without a single drop on his diaper; we thought it would be a cinch.

Well, after attending morning Mass at 9:00am and going to breakfast, we headed to Toys-R-Us to use a couple of gift cards given to my daughter, and to my son (his birthday was last month). So, he actually held out pretty long; until the early afternoon.

Fortunately, we had a change of clothes in the car "just in case,"which turned out to be the first of several clothing changes he needed that day.

The next incident came at the supermarket. Unlike last week, when I went grocery shopping for the entire family on my own (with my eldest daughter and son), this week, it was a family affair: all five of us (more importantly, Mom included!).

We never noticed he had wet his shorts until I lifted him to put him into his car seat (somewhere in Winn Dixie, he left an undetected puddle, which maybe other customers rolled through as well).

Now, I know what you may be thinking. Perhaps, my son is a burgeoning community activist trying to make a statement against big box stores. However, the third and final mishap came that evening at home in the middle of our living room.

So, what did we learn from the experience? Well, first, that it might take longer then we expected to put him strictly on underwear. Second, that a little boy who is potty training and wearing underwear for the first time, will not take the time to leave a store full of toys to go to the bathroom and third, that the floors in supermarkets and department stores, may not be as hygienic as they seem.

No comments: