Search This Blog

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Live and Let Live?...

No wait; It's not Live and Let Die!...
“Live and let live,” a motto I proclaimed for most of my life…

How idealistic that sounds especially when we are young with no responsibilities except for having fun and living for the moment. Yet now in my mid-40’s, with a wife and three kids, I see how insufficient and distorted that motto really is.

As I look around at the world I am leaving my children, I notice things that I never considered while living by that ill-fated motto. I see a society that is lapsing into a moral morass, with marriages failing mightily, fathers’ roles being devalued by a more and more anti-institution and anti-Christian culture, children growing up in single parent homes, exposed to a violent, self absorbed, sex-and-material-driven and secular world with no sense of “Truth” and families being redefined.

I fear for their future in a society where the moral values that made this country what it is today, are slowly being pushed off a cliff.

And, if we object to the “acceptable” standards of this new “progressive” society, we are accused of being ignorant bigots… Tolerance is a double edged sword…

How sad that morality has been relegated to personal emotions; “if it feels good, do it!” Then again, isn’t that just more of the “me-first” "live and let live" mentality that we are continually sold by the pundits and celebrities on television, books and magazines?

As for me, my life is not about “live and let live” any more. It’s about “live and change the world”… (To the best of my ability!).

2 comments:

Ed said...

Carlos, welcome to the moment only He provides us. The road is long and the path is trecherous, but His love will save... See you on the road from Emmaus. God Bless you and yours.

Carlos Espinosa said...

Thanks Ed, greatly appreciate your support.